Thursday, July 19, 2012

The heart attack

The dreaded day has arrived. The day Tam Lin and I have been preparing Matt for. El Patron's health has always been an issue - no wonder since he's 148 years old - but it has lately been worse than ever. Today the old vampire, as people call him, couldn't take it any longer and had a heart attack. He was immediately taken to the hospital to prepare him for a heart transplant. I knew what I had to do. El Patron's guards looked for Matt everywhere in the house, but he was nowhere to be found. In the end, however, they caught him trying to escape, with Maria's assistance. She had found out Matt was not to be blame for her dog's death, and was desperately trying to help him run away. But I was untroubled. I knew they couldn't take his heart. 

I am a curandera and for a long time I tried to come up with a way of saving Matt from the terrible fate that awaited him. I knew it wouldn't take long until El Patron needed Matt's heart, and I needed to stop him from taking it. That's when I started feeding Matt arsenic. I knew it could kill him, but it could also save his life. Arsenic grows into the hair, makes white lines on the fingernails, and settles into the heart, making it too weak for a transplant, but not weak enough to kill the original owner. 

When I told El Patron and the doctors what I had done, they panicked. They knew Matt was his only chance to survive, but I don't think it'd be fair to sacrifice mi hijo to give him yet more time to live. El Patron has had many lives already. It's time to make his peace with God.

El Patron in the hospital


What saved Matt's life


3 comments: